Usually, to make calls on modern Android phones, people have to insert at least one SIM card into their devices. In most of the cases, as soon as the SIM card is in place, Android users would be able to reach out to their acquaintances. Still, sometimes, Android devices cannot make calls even though they have SIM cards and the “phone not allowed for voice” error (MM#6) is an example. The moment it occurs, MM#6 error is going to render the calling ability of phones disabled unless owners take action.
A Summary Of MM#6 Error
Your phone displays the MM#6 error every time you attempt to make a call and you don’t know why? Then it’s suggested that you check out this article. Down below is everything that you must know while troubleshooting the “phone not allowed for voice” error on Android phones.
Overall, devices that run on the Android operating system act up for various reasons but regarding the MM#6 error, you need to memorize these possibilities.
So your phone comes from a secondhand store and the SIM card you use works normally on other Android devices? Then there is a very good chance that the previous owner of the phone tethered it to a certain carrier. In case you don’t know, tethered devices only work with SIM cards of carriers that people tether them to. Naturally, if you insert a SIM card of the A carrier to a phone tethered to the B carrier, it’s impossible to make calls.
To discourage theft, quite a few phone manufacturers nowadays create a blacklist that contains the serial number of stolen devices. Once the manufacturers add the serial number of a specific phone to the blacklist, multiple functions including calling of that device would be rendered disabled. Because of that, if you pick up your Android phone from an ambiguous source. it may be a blacklisted device. As long as the serial number of your phone remains on the blacklist, it’s little more than a paperweight.
Wrong Network Selection
The network selection of a phone dictates the stability of calling, texting and so on. In the case that you manage to configure the network selection in a proper manner, the device should work uneventfully. On the other hand, if you mess up the network selection settings, your phone is going to experience a wide range of oddities in use. Because of that, if you ever notice the “phone not allowed for voice” error on your device, you have to take network selection into account.
Incorrectly Inserted SIM Card
In general, the insertion of SIM cards into phones is a straightforward process that everyone could perform without much difficulty. That being said, if the seating of your SIM card is incorrect, you won’t be able to make class, send texts and so on. Thus, you should think about your SIM card if you come across the MM#6 error. On the bright side, for most of the time, issues that involve SIM card insertion require little time to solve.
Periodically, Android devices would receive updates that change aspects of the operating system and the network protocol is no exception. Hence, if you neglect the updates of your phone, its network protocol can become obsolete which causes disruption in communication. Needless to say, the performance of texting tends to suffer greatly from outdated network protocol. To regain the ability to make calls to others, it’s strongly recommended that you address the obsolescence of your phone at the earliest opportunity.
About the MM#6 error, countless fixes exist but in terms of result, the following measures stand out from the rest.
Dial The Unlock Code
Assuming that your phone is tethered to a carrier, you should consider dialing the unlock code to sever the connection. To do so, open the phone app on the device, enter *#78# and hit the call button to initiate the unlocking. Next, proceed to access the operation menu to untether your phone from the old carrier. If things progress smoothly, you could begin calling your contacts.
Note: It’s noteworthy that only a couple of modern carriers support the unlock code. To be thorough, search around on the Internet to determine whether your current carrier permits the dialing of unlock code.
Contact The Carrier
So you suspect that your phone is a blacklisted device? In that case, you may want to get in touch with the carrier at once. Upon request, your carrier is going to check if the device is indeed on the blacklist then advise you on what to do. Depending on the situation, you have to provide a number of documents to the carrier for identification.
Adjust The Network Selection Setting
- Step 1: Go to Settings
- Step 2: Choose Network & Internet
- Step 3: Tap Advanced
- Step 4: Toggle the switch next to Automatically select network to enable it
- Step 5: Restart the device
Remove And Reinsert The SIM Card
Get the SIM card out of your phone, gently clean it with a piece of cloth and put it back in the SIM card compartment. Also, it’s a good idea to use the opportunity to glance over the compartment that holds the SIM card. While the SIM card compartment of phones is sealed, all sorts of things make their way into it over time. If the compartment proves too dirty, the seating of the SIM card would develop troubles.
Update The OS
It’s been a while since you last updated the operating system of your phone? If that happens to be the case, it’s widely advised that you upgrade the OS as soon as possible.
- Step 1: Go to Settings
- Step 2: Choose About phone
- Step 3: If an update is available, tap Update
- Step 4: Restart the device when the update concludes
Tips And Tricks For Android Users
In use, Android phones come across countless communication hiccups but if you take precautions, you can escape a good deal of headaches.
- Avoid buying blacklisted devices: Before buying a phone, write down its serial number and enter that into the checking service of the phone manufacturer. If the serial number checks out, you could grab the device knowing that its origin is clean. Nonetheless, if the result shows that the phone is a blacklisted device, you have to turn away immediately. All in all, buying blacklisted devices not only brings many hassles in the long term but also deprives you of technical assistance from the manufacturer.
- Pay attention to Android updates: It’s safe to say that by keeping your phone up-to-date, the consistency of its performance would increase. Hence, to get the most out of your Android phone, you should keep OS updates in mind while using it. Regarding the download of updates, it’s best to connect the device to stable WiFi networks to keep the odds of interruptions to the minimum. Moreover, if the size of updates is big, plug in your phone so it won’t run out of battery in the middle of download.
- Keep an eye on SIM cards: The delicacy of SIM cards means it’s unwise to take them out of the phones on a whim. If you need to get your SIM card out, be careful because all it takes is a single scratch for the circuit to sustain damages. In addition, if you must keep your SIM card outside of the phone for some reason, store it in a secured location. Noteworthily, you could purchase purpose-design SIM card holders that let you keep a bunch of SIM cards at the same time.
A dynamic and multifaceted professional developer who has made significant strides in the Android industry. As a pivotal member of the Milagro Mobile Marketing team, Vinh’s journey is a testament to the power of education, experience, and unwavering passion for mobile technology.