Generally speaking, following a period of inactivity, Windows computers would shut down specific components to reduce power consumption. Still, there are times when users don’t want their Windows computer from turning off components to save power. For instance, people may want to keep the monitor running even as the power level of their computer drops low. Naturally, the topic of allow the computer to turn off this device to save power Windows 10 attracts a lot of attention.
Once it comes to getting to allow the computer to turn off this device to save power Windows 10, Device Manager is your best bet. Let’s say you want to keep your network adapter on all the time.
- Step 1: Press Windows + R to open Run.
- Step 2: Type devmgmt.src in Run dialog box then press Enter to open Device Manager
- Step 3: Go to Network adapters, expand it and look for your network adapter
- Step 4: When you locate your network adapter, right-click it and choose Properties.
- Step 5: Select, Power Management, uncheck the box beside Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power and click OK to save your change.
Repeat from steps 3 to 5 on all the devices that you want to stay active as long as your computer is running.
How To Keep The Computer Awake
It’s possible to keep everything on your computer up and running at the cost of battery life. If you don’t care about how long your battery last, feel free to go through the following steps:
- Step 1: Press Windows + R to open Run, type control and hit enter to open Control Panel.
- Step 2: Search for Power Options, open it and pick Edit Power Plan.
- Step 3: Set the option next to Put the computer to sleep as Never.
- Step 4: Click Change Advanced Power Settings.
- Step 5: Expand Hard Disk as well as Sleep.
- Step 6: Set the options next to Turn off hard disk after, Sleep after and Hibernate after as Never.
- Step 7: Click Apply then choose Save
- Step 8: Expand USB Settings and set USB selective suspend settings as Disabled.
- Step 9: Expand Display and set Turn off display after as Never.
- Step 10: Back out of the Power Options and navigate to the Control Panel general page.
A Beginner’s Guide
- Windows 10 users can customize the look and appearance of their Start menu by rearranging the system folders as well as the tiles. To do so, navigate to Start and then click the gear icon to open Settings. After that, select Personalization and hit Start to open a section through which the Start menu can be customized.
- To maintain your concentration while working in Windows 10, use the Focus Assist feature. It prevents distracting notifications or alerts from popping up. Focus Assist can be found by going to the Settings and opening System. From there, select Focus Assist and configure this feature as you see fit.
- By using the Task View Pane, users can manage windows across multiple monitors or virtual desktops. This feature can be activated by clicking on the Task View button illustrated by two overlapping rectangles or by pressing upon the Windows Key and Tab at the same time. After doing so, click on + New Desktop to create an additional virtual workspace.
- The Windows 10 operating system provides a helpful feature known as the Cloud Clipboard. It enables users to copy and paste links, texts, pictures and other files across various devices. This feature can be accessed by clicking on the Windows Key + V.
- Users can reduce eye strain by toggling the Dark Mode and Night Light features. They are both accessible under the Settings menu and reduce display brightness or contrast for easier reading in low light conditions.
How Come My Computer Monitor Sometimes Displays Black Borders Around Its Edges?
After changes to resolution, the monitor may not adjust automatically which results in black borders along the edges. To get rid of the black borders, all you need to do is to adjust the horizontal and vertical widths through the buttons at the front of the monitor.
Is It Normal For The Mouse Pointer To Move Erratically On Occasions?
You use an optical mouse and you notice your mouse pointer moving all over the screen? Then it’s highly likely that the LED of the mouse is dirty. Thus, a bit of cleaning would restore the operation of the mouse pointer. Still, if the problem persists, you should consider picking up a mouse replacement.
What Must Be Done To Start Windows In Safe Mode?
If your computer is on, open the Start menu, click Power and choose Restart. Next, as the sign-in screen appears, press and hold the F8 key as you pick Power then choose Restart. In the Choose an option screen Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings > Restart.
What Is The Meaning Of The “The File Or Folder Is Being Used By Windows” Message?
As you copy, cut or delete a file/folder, a message that says the selected file or folder is being used by Windows could appear. It means that a program on your computer is using that file or folder. In such a scenario, it is necessary to open Task Manager, close the program that uses the file/folder then repeat the copy, cut or delete process.
How Do I Update My Windows OS?
A user can visit the official Windows update website to upgrade their OS to the latest version. It’s worth pointing out that Windows could update automatically once connected to a stable Internet connection.
Hoang Tu is a seasoned Microsoft Windows expert with a strong IT background. Studying at Hanoi Bach Khoa University, he gained valuable experience at Hanoi Computer and FPT Soft before joining Milagro Mobile Marketing. Specializing in providing tips and tutorials on Windows for global users, Hoang Tu’s expertise covers various Windows versions. With a talent for clear communication, he offers practical solutions and advice to users of all skill levels. His dedication to empowering individuals in their Windows experience has earned him recognition in the tech community, making him a trusted resource for optimizing system performance and resolving technical issues.