Have you ever wondered if someone has unauthorized access to the information on your phone? Don’t worry; this article will put you through on how to confirm if someone is spying on you or if perhaps you are mistakenly bought a cloned phone from an unregistered vendor. Basic cell phone cloning has been around for a long time and was quite easy before the introduction of smartphones. In this article, we would be discussing how to check if your android phone has been cloned.
Cloning basically involves using electronic equipment to steal the identity of a phone in order to use it on another phone. In movies, cloning is made to seem like a very simple task but it isn’t quite so as it involves a lot more work than is usually portrayed. There are 3 methods of cloning which are the AMPS, CDMA, and GSM cloning, this article will be based on GSM cloning.
Methods of GSM Cloning
- By copying the IMEI (International Mobile Equipment Identity). This number is unique and is found in all mobile phones, this means no two phones are supposed to have the same IMEI number except when cloning is done.
- Also in GSM cloning there is sim card cloning, but this will require physical access to the sim card in order to extract the K code, then the cloner uses a sim card writer to make a duplicate sim card.
Let’s move into the business of the day,
- If your phone has been cloned through the very basic IMEI method, you can use phone locating software like Find My iPhone or find my Device (Android) to find the duplicate.
- Firstly, log into your account; to use this feature on the iPhone you must have the Find my iPhone feature turned ON.
- After logging in, use the map to check out the location of your phone; if after performing step 2 you find a marker it means your phone has a clone.
- Another method that involves the sim card cloning is going through your phone expense bill if you find calls to numbers that you do not know it might mean that your phone has been cloned.
How to identify if you are using a cloned Phone
Another way to look at this topic is How to tell if you are the one using a cloned phone, it is not surprising to know that people sell cloned phones for the sole purpose of making a profit. If you suspect that you are using a cloned phone there’s no need to worry, you can confirm by doing the following:
- Pay particular attention to calls and texts that are coming into your phone.
- Check the IMEI number on the phone manufacturers website, if there are any irregularities then there are chances that your phone is cloned
- You can also check your phone quality against an unboxed phone of the same model, this will require you checking for the weight, OS, and performance of both phones.
Hope we have been able to answer all questions you may have about cell phone cloning in this article, for more information or further questions; please comment below.