Once it comes to games that manage to withstand the test of time, Fallout 3 deserves a mention by all accounts. Launched in 2008, the third main installment in the Fallout series still maintains its appeal to fans of the action role-playing genre. That being said, like other games from Bethesda, Fallout 3 is known for having bugs. Read to the end if you want to play Fallout 3 but the “ordinal 5360 could not be located” error keeps getting in your way.
The Usual Suspects
Games For Windows Live
Back in the old days, gamers could only play a number of games if they have Games For Windows Live PC and Fallout 3 is a prime example. Depending on your version of Fallout 3, you cannot play unless you have Games For Windows Live.
You don’t need a monster rig to play Fallout 3 but it still requires multiple drivers and operating system components to run. Hence, regarding the “ordinal 5360 could not be located” error, you should give minimum requirement some thought.
Install Games For Windows Live
Microsoft has discontinued support for Games For Windows Live but a few games still use it. In the case that you don’t have Games For Windows Live on your PC, install it then see how things turn out.
- Step 1: Uninstall Fallout 3 from your computer.
- Step 2: Go to the Games for Windows Live website and download the latest version of the Games for Windows Live installer. Click here.
- Step 3: Run the installer and follow the prompts.
- Step 4: Launch the Windows Live client once the installation is complete.
- Step 5: Sign in with your Microsoft account.
- Step 6: Click on the “Games” tab and then “Installed Games.”
- Step 7: Find Fallout 3 from the list and click the “Install” button.
- Step 8: Follow the prompts to complete the installation.
- Step 9: Launch the game from the Windows Live client once the installation is complete.
- Step 10: Sign in with your Microsoft account to play.
Note: Games for Windows Live is designed for Windows 7 and Windows 8.1. If you’re using a contemporary version of Windows, you’ll need to run Games for Windows Live in Compatibility Mode.
Take Minimum Requirements Into Account
For Fallout 3 to function properly on a computer, the system must meet or exceed the minimum system requirements specified by the developer. The minimum system requirements for Fallout 3 are as follows:
- Windows XP/Vista/7
- 1.7 GHz Processor
- 512 MB RAM (1 GB recommended)
- 3 GB Hard Disk Space
- DirectX 9.0c compatible video card with 256 MB RAM (NVIDIA 6800 or better, ATI X850 or better)
- DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card
- DirectX 9.0c or higher (included on Disc 1)
- keyboard and mouse
Go For The Steam Version
You could play whatever version of Fallout 3 you like but for good measure, use the Steam version of the game. The Steam version not only provides the latest updates for the game but also grants you access to Fallout 3 mods on the workshop. Of course, other versions of Fallout 3 may still work Windows. However, there is a good chance that you will come across errors here and there.
How Do I Update My Games On Games For Windows Live?
- Step 1: Open the Games for Windows Live client.
- Step 2: Click on the “My Games” tab.
- Step 3: Proceed to pick on the game you want to upgrade.
- Step 4: Hit the “Update” button to upgrade your game to the latest version.
What Must Be Done To Get Fallout 3 On Steam?
- Step 1: Download and install the Steam client.
- Step 2: Launch the Steam client and create a new account.
- Step 3: Search for Fallout 3, buy it and play to your heart’s content.
Do I Need Internet Access To Play Fallout 3?
There is no need to connect your PC to the Internet to play Fallout 3.
- Always ensure that your computer meets the minimum game requirements before installing a game on your PC.
- Don’t be trigger-happy. Use your ammunition sparingly and save it for tough enemies.
- Use Vault-Tec Assisted Targeting System (VATS) to concentrate damage on parts of the enemy’s body.
- Always keep some bobby pins in the inventory as you’ll need them to open locks.
- Master the lock’s cold and warm spots. That will save you plenty of time as you pick locks in the game.
- Concentrate your skill points. There is no need to scatter the points in more than three mastery areas.
- Use every opportunity to have a good night’s sleep to boost your XP points.
- Take advantage of quick travel between previously discovered places.
- Helping Sherif Lucas deactivate a bomb in Megaton will earn you a house!
Hoang Tu is a seasoned Microsoft Windows expert with a strong IT background. Studying at Hanoi Bach Khoa University, he gained valuable experience at Hanoi Computer and FPT Soft before joining Milagro Mobile Marketing. Specializing in providing tips and tutorials on Windows for global users, Hoang Tu’s expertise covers various Windows versions. With a talent for clear communication, he offers practical solutions and advice to users of all skill levels. His dedication to empowering individuals in their Windows experience has earned him recognition in the tech community, making him a trusted resource for optimizing system performance and resolving technical issues.