Outdated game versions can easily cause Mass Effect 1 DirectX setup error and you will have to update the game to the latest version. You should also think of deleting some files, granting permissions, repairing corrupted files, and updating Windows. To know which files to delete and other solutions, you will need to check the solutions below but first, let’s take a look at the causes.
Causes Of The Error
For your information, game developers will periodically collect reviews from players then roll out updates to refine features, fix bugs and so on. Unable to recall the last time you updated your version of Mass Effect 1? Then there is a good chance that your game is out-of-date. Obsolescence leads to a lot of issues and Mass Effect 1 DirectX setup error is one of them.
On Windows, permissions play a key role in the download, installation and operation of apps. If Mass Effect 1 lacks permissions, it’s only natural that the game would run into errors.
As time passes by, system files of Windows computers may become corrupted as a result of malware, power outages. Needless to say, if corruption exists in the system files, there is no way for the operating system to work as expected.
To perform to its full potential, your PC must be updated from time to time. In the case that you neglect the updates, it may have a hard time running apps.
On PC, to update Mass Effect 1, you need to use Origin.
- Step 1: Launch Origin then navigate to Mass Effect 1.
- Step 2: Right-click it, pick Check for update then wait for the update to wrap up.
- Step 3: Restart your computer then launch your game.
- Step 1: Press the Windows key + E to open File Explorer.
- Step 2: Navigate through the following directory: C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Mass Effect 1\ __Installer\directx\redist
- Step 3: Once in Redist, select all files except DSETUP.dll dsetup32.dll DXSETUP.exe then hit the Delete key.
- Step 4: Restart your computer then install Mass Effect again.
Note: If you cannot see the folder in step 2 above, there is a good chance that the Origin download is incomplete. In that case, you have to repair the game in Origin.
- Step 1: Launch Origin then log in.
- Step 2: Go to My Game Library then click Mass Effect.
- Step 3: Right-click the cogwheel then pick Repair.
- Step 4: Wait for the green check mark to show up then launch the game.
- Step 1: Go to Search bar then type origin.
- Step 2: From the top results, right-click Origin then pick open file location.
- Step 3: Right-click the Origin folder then select Properties.
- Step 4: Go to the Security tab then hit the Edit button.
- Step 5: Click Add below the ‘Group or usernames’ box then type the username of the user you want to grant permission to.
- Step 6: Hit Check names to verify the username click OK to close Properties
- Step 7: Back to Security, select the user you want to set permissions for.
- Step 8: Go to the Permissions section then check the boxes to select the appropriate permissions level.
- Step 9: Select Apply then choose OK to save your changes.
- Step 10: Restart your computer then check if the issue persists.
Repair Corrupted Files
If the Mass Effect 1 DirectX setup error is caused by corrupted files, you can run SFC & DISM scans to repair them.
- Step 1: Press the Windows key + X to open the Quick Link Menu.
- Step 2: Pick Command Prompt(Admin) to open the Command Prompt with administrative privileges.
- Step 3: Type sfc /scannow then hit Enter to run the SFC scan.
- Step 4: Once SFC is complete, paste each of the commands down below to run the DISM scan. Hit Enter after each command.
- DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
- DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
- DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
- Step 5: Close the Command Prompt, restart your computer then check if the issue has been solved.
- Step 1: Press the Windows key then hit the cogwheel to open Settings.
- Step 2: Select Update & Security then go to Windows Update.
- Step 3: Click Check for updates then wait as Windows downloads and installs the updates.
- Step 4: Once the installation is complete, restart your computer to effect the changes then try installing your game again.
How Long Does It Take To Finish Mass Effect 1?
Mass Effect 1 is the shortest in the Mass Effect series. If you are a gamer with an aim of clearing every side mission and DLC content, you will need about 30 hours of game time.
What Must Be Done If The Mass Effect 3 Installation Is Stuck In A Loop?
- Step 1: Press the Windows key + R to open Run.
- Step 2: Type Regedit then hit Enter to open the Registry Editor.
- Step 3: Hit the arrow beside HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE then carefully navigate to the following directory: SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\EA Games\Mass Effect 3.
- Step 4: Find GDFBinary with a value like C:\Program Files\Origin Games\Mass Effect 3\GDFBinary_en_US.dll.
- Step 5: Create another value: Install Dir then add the following text to the created value C:\Program Files\Origin Games\Mass Effect 3.
- Step 6: Cross-check to ensure that you have the following components
- ab (Default) REG_SZ (value not set)
- ab GDFBinary REG_SZ C:\Program Files\Origin Games\Mass Effect 3\GDFBinary_en_US.dll
- ab Install Dir REG_SZ C:\Program Files\Origin Games\Mass Effect 3
- Step 7: Close the Registry then restart your computer
A Novice’s Guide
- When having trouble keeping track of enemies, use the Weapon or Power Wheel to freeze time.
- To move without affecting the weapon bloom, make Shepard crouch by clicking the left stick down.
- To distribute the Squad Points manually for both Shepard and their Squad Mates, turn off Auto Level Up.
Hoang Tu is a seasoned Microsoft Windows expert with a strong IT background. Studying at Hanoi Bach Khoa University, he gained valuable experience at Hanoi Computer and FPT Soft before joining Milagro Mobile Marketing. Specializing in providing tips and tutorials on Windows for global users, Hoang Tu’s expertise covers various Windows versions. With a talent for clear communication, he offers practical solutions and advice to users of all skill levels. His dedication to empowering individuals in their Windows experience has earned him recognition in the tech community, making him a trusted resource for optimizing system performance and resolving technical issues.