Generally speaking, Windows Updates not only introduce new features but also fix vulnerabilities in the operating system and improve existing functions. As a Cumulative Update, KB3172985 is supposed to improve various aspects of Windows but its integration is not always smooth sailing. You have a hard time installing KB3172985 on your PC and have no idea why? Then check out this article to learn what must be done when KB3172985 failed to install.
An Analysis Of The Situation
The failure of installation of KB3172985 could be the result of malware, system file corruption, unstable Internet connection, issues in the Windows Registry, etc.
What You Could Do
Before resorting to complex procedures, let’s start by undergoing some basic troubleshooting tricks to see if it helps.
Check Out Internet Connection
Determine whether your computer is connected to the Internet. Also, ensure that you are not using a metered connection as some updates cannot be installed if your Internet connection is metered.
Give Manual Update A Go
If you have stable Internet access but updates aren’t installed smoothly, you may want to wait for a bit then attempt to install them manually. If you don’t know how to do that then you may refer to this Windows Update guide.
Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
If none of the above methods seems to work then you may use Windows Update Troubleshooter to find and fix problems for you. As it was made to do this specific job in mind, it may help you resolve this issue automatically.
If the basic troubleshooting is not able to solve your update issue, it’s time for you to move on to advanced troubleshooting.
Take Services Into Account
- Step 1: Press Windows + R key and type “services.msc” then press Enter.
- Step 2: From the new popup window, search for “Windows Update”, right-click it and pick Stop.
- Step 3: Close Services and press the Windows + R key again. Now type %windir%\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore in Run and click OK to continue. After this, you should see the data store folder on your Windows Explorer. Here, select all the files by pressing Ctrl + A key and then press Delete.
- Step 4: Press Windows + R, type services.msc and hit OK to open Services again. Navigate to the Windows Update, right-click it and choose Start.
Clean Windows Update Download Path
When KB3172985 failed to install, one thing to do is to clear the Windows update download path.
Note! These instructions are only for professional users. You might lose your files if you screw up your PC using Registry Editor. For good measure, we recommend you to follow the steps to the letters or employ a professional user to do it for you.
- Step 1: Press Windows + R, enter regedit in Run and hit Enter.
- Step 2: Navigate to the path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate
- Step 3: Once you find it, begin searching for WUServer and WIStatusServer on the right side of the window. When found, you may now delete both of the folders and restart your computer.
- Step 4: After a successful restart, you can now begin to search for new updates once again. This time, the update should get installed successfully.
How Do I Fix Failed Installation In Windows 10?
When attempting to upgrade Windows 10, you may encounter an installation error notice for a variety of reasons. There are, nevertheless, certain generic possibilities to consider. These possibilities include not having enough space, having third-party drivers, and having third-party security software products installed. However, these are quite easy to handle.
- Think About Storage Space: Always make sure that your device has enough storage to undergo the required installation. If the storage doesn’t fulfill the storage criteria then it may result in installation errors.
- Remove Third-Party Antivirus Programs: Third-party antivirus programs also tend to cause installation errors. Hence, before performing an update, you should uninstall or disable any third-party antivirus programs installed on your PC.
- Unplug Non-Essential Hardware: Remove external storage devices like drives and other gears that have no effect on basic functions of your computer.
- Windows Troubleshooter: Utilizing Windows Troubleshooter often helps in fixing various Windows issues in your system including installation errors.
What Does Error 0x8007001F Mean?
0x8007001F is one of the most common errors encountered by Windows users while upgrading. This usually occurs due to a malfunctioning audio driver, damaged system files or even an erroneously downloaded Windows update. Furthermore, this error usually resolves itself after a simple reboot. So just give your computer a restart, and it should fix things for you.
Hoang Tu is a seasoned Microsoft Windows expert with a strong IT background. Studying at Hanoi Bach Khoa University, he gained valuable experience at Hanoi Computer and FPT Soft before joining Milagro Mobile Marketing. Specializing in providing tips and tutorials on Windows for global users, Hoang Tu’s expertise covers various Windows versions. With a talent for clear communication, he offers practical solutions and advice to users of all skill levels. His dedication to empowering individuals in their Windows experience has earned him recognition in the tech community, making him a trusted resource for optimizing system performance and resolving technical issues.