Ultimate guide on how to install APK on Android from PC
If you encounter any problems in installing apps on your Android smartphone, one of the best alternatives is to switch to the APK download and installation. The point is, Google Play, the safest site to get apps, allows users to trigger remote installation on their device but does not support the APK download due to its security-oriented policy. Therefore, you have to seek help from a third-party app store and install APK files manually via your computer PC. Take your time and follow our optimal guidance on how to install APK on Android from PC.
- 1 Install APK on Android via a PC
- 1.1 Step 1: Download the APK file of your desired app/ game.
- 1.2 Step 2: Enable Unknown Sources on your Android phone
- 1.3 Step 3: Establish a connection
- 1.4 Step 4: Copy the APK from your PC to your Android
- 1.5 Step 5: Install the APK file on Android
- 2 Notice when installing APK on Android from PC
- 3 The final words
Install APK on Android via a PC
Step 1: Download the APK file of your desired app/ game.
Here come two ways to download APKs to your PC storage, the first one is APKs download from online website and the later is APKs download directly from Google Play via a web tool.
Notice that when allowing a non-store app to access your PC devices, you have to accept the risks coming with it. To be more clear, some APK files may hide malware to compromise the security of your phone and expose you to unknown threats.
Method 1: Download and APKs via an online website
- From the search engine of your computer, access the website ApktoVi- which we recommend, then type in the app/package name and tap the search button on the search bar. For example Street Racing 3D by Combine.inc
- Tap on the right app among the results to move to the following screen, which contains the APK file of your app.
- Tap on Download APK to download the file to your PC location.
Method 2: Download and install APKs directly from Google Play via download tool
APK Downloader is a tool created to download APK files, files containing OBB or apps with variants directly from Google Play. And, compared to other download tools, there’s no requirement for the location or private account with APK Downloader. Then, your security and privacy are protected.
By downloading the APK files straight from the official Google source, you can make sure that you have downloaded the original apps that were thoroughly checked by Google developers for any sorts of malware.
Here is how to do:
- From the browser of your computer, access Google Play and search for the app you intend to download via the search bar. Take Street Racing 3D as an example:
- Copy the link of this app on Google Play. The URL of this car racing game will look like this: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.combineinc.streetracing.driftthreeD&hl=en
- Next, access the website and drag down to the bottom of your screen to see APK Downloader. Click on it to move to the main interface of APK Downloader.
- Paste the chunk( the link of the app on Google Play) that you have just copied into the box. Then, tap on the download button( the down arrow) next to the box.
- This action will take you to the following screen containing the app APK file. Next, click on the download button to finish this step.
Step 2: Enable Unknown Sources on your Android phone
The process to activate this mode is slightly different among Android versions as well as Android devices. In this post, we will walk you through the steps to allow installations from Unknown Sources on Android 8.0 and higher and Android 7.0 and lower.
Unknown Sources on Android 8.0 and higher
With this Android version, you need to get security permission for each app/ browser you intend to sideload. Navigate to Settings>Apps and Notifications, then drag down to tap on Advanced>Special App Access. Scroll down to see Install Unknown Apps, then choose a browser that you usually use and toggle the mode“ Allow from this source” to ON.
Unknown Sources on Android 7.0 and lower
For the devices that are running Android 7.0 and lower, simply go to Settings>Security (or Lock screen and security/ Security & Privacy). Next, drag down and turn the mode “Unknown Sources” to ON. Then, the system will respond to the change with a security warning, tap on OK to continue.
Step 3: Establish a connection
In this step, you have to connect your Android to the PC using a USB cable or any compatible cable. Then, wait for the screen of your computer to show up a “USB connected” notification.
Step 4: Copy the APK from your PC to your Android
You copy the APK file that you had downloaded from your PC to your Android phone as follow:
- Locate the downloaded APK on your PC
- Right-click on it. Then, a list of options will show up.
- Drag down to tap on Send to and select your Android.
Step 5: Install the APK file on Android
- Go to the folder on your phone where the APK file is located, which is the File Manager. The name of this app might vary among Android devices and Android versions, so if you don’t see File Manager, then look for My Files, File Browser, or File Explorer. Open the app and you will be greeted with a list of files and folders on your Android.
- Then, tap on the APK file and tap Install to start the installation.
- When the installation is completed, a confirmation message will appear on your screen, tap on Done to confirm.
- Finally, your new app will be ready to be used on an Android platform.
Notice when installing APK on Android from PC
- APK Downloader only allows users to download free apps. That means users cannot pirate apps or download the cracked ones.
- To download an app directly from Google Play with its package name, users just have to pull out the part between the first equal mark “=” and the chunk “&hl=en”. For example, with Whatsapp Business, the chunk “com.whatsapp.w4b” is its package name. Then, you paste it onto the box of APK Downloader to download the app.
- If you desire to download apps/ games that were removed from Google Play, you can find the package name of the app and paste it onto the download box of APK Downloader
- For the files containing OBB or variants, the process to get the app on your devices is described in detail at the site we mentioned above. Reach the site and read the related blog.
- Instead of USB cable, users can use a USB or SD card to copy and transfer the APK file. However, you had better carefully examined those peripheral devices before jumping into action to avoid potential risks.
The final words
Now, you’ve learned how to install APK on Android from a PC. Hope this above instruction works for you.
Professional software development experience in every step of software development lifecycle such as designing, developing, testing, debugging, and etc.
• Professional experience in Android application development.
• Professional experience in Java program development.
Check my Linkedin profile.