FIXED! - Programming Language For Mobile App Development in 2021
According to the Journal of Accountancy, on average, we have up to 47 phone checks in a day, for the group of 18-24 years old, this number is up to 86 times/day. Almost every activity of modern people is tied to their smartphone, from texting, calling, checking mail, playing games, listening to music, etc. Smartphone apps are an integral part of our daily lives.
In recent years, the mobile application development industry has multiplied and increased exponentially, changing the way businesses around the world operate. However, to own a mobile app requires a bit more guidance, for example, how much does it cost to develop a mobile app? – we certainly mentioned in the previous title. So today, through this title, we will go a little deeper into the expertise, so after determining to build a mobile application, what type of programming language is most used today?
Well, when we list out the best programming languages for developing mobile apps, we also talk about the platforms where it makes more sense. While there are several programming languages for Android app development and others for iOS apps, there are others for compositing, Progressive Web Applications (PWA), and more.
However, if you are looking for a mobile application development solution that does not require you to have a deep understanding of programming languages, you can simply contact us at Groove Technology.
Mobile App Types
Knowing what kind of mobile apps you’ll be developing is key to finding the right programming language. Before diving deeper into programming languages, you should have a basic understanding of native mobile app development, hybrid mobile app development, and PWA.
Before you start using the most popular mobile app programming language, spend some time thinking ahead of time about what kind of apps you plan to build.
Each Android or iOS operating system has its own language used to code a native application.
For example, if you’re building an iOS native app, you might want to use Objective C or Swift as your programming language. But to develop native apps for Android you need to use Java or Kotlin.
Native app development is a good choice if you are creating apps for a specific platform. It is also a good choice if you want the best user experience by removing unnecessary features. If you plan to create a game app or an app with lots of animations, native apps are the way to go as they can handle it due to faster performance. However, native application development takes longer for many operating systems, adding new features requires separate codebases, and native programming languages are specific, you will need to hire a developer with that skill set. This means that the native application carries a unique peculiarity for each platform.
Hybrid App is a combination of a native app and a web app. It allows developers to write code in just one language that can run on multiple operating systems. When you build this type of app, you’ll create your backend codebase, which will then be covered in a native shell, allowing you to make the app available for both Android and iOS.
You should start hybrid app development when you have a simple, content-based project that doesn’t involve heavy features and animations, or when you just want to get to MVP quickly. Not suitable for applications that are complex and have many built-in features.
Progressive web apps run in a web browser but still give the user the look and feel of a native app. So, this means that you can install the app on your mobile device — it works offline and maybe even — and you can still use hardware features like GPS and camera.
If you want a low-cost and powerful e-commerce application, a PWA can be a good choice. Since it is accessible across multiple devices and platforms, it will also lead to higher traffic. However, it does not support much and gives a lower performance on iOS devices.
Top 8 Programming Languages for Mobile Application Development
focus on choosing the right technology and the right programming language to create an app. Powerful, innovative and user-friendly.
With several mobile programming languages to choose from, you have to weigh many factors, pros and cons, and popularity of the language before making a decision to build the most popular mobile app.
In this article, we have listed the top 8 mobile application programming languages that are the best application programming languages and will also help you quickly choose the best language. and get you started with your mobile app
1. React Native (Java-script)
- The language is flexible and can be used in many ways through Node.js
- Faster in client-side browsing and no need to compile.
- Straight to work and easy to control.
- There are no established standards and plenty of room for change.
- Vulnerable to attack and can be used for malicious purposes in some cases.
- You may experience browser support issues under some circumstances.
- Server-side scripts always give the same output, and the client-side is a bit unpredictable.
Kotlin is much simpler for beginners to try than Java and it can also be used as an “entry point” for Android Application Development. Kotlin is the official language for Android Application Development declared by Google since 2019. Kotlin is a cross-platform programming language that can be used as an alternative to Java for Android Application Development.
- Clear, concise and easy-to-understand syntax increases team efficiency.
- Interoperable and flexible and can easily overcome the shortcomings of JAVA.
- Full support from Google and IDE installation packages, including Android and SDK toolkit.
- Compact, simple and cleaner code generation compared to JAVA.
- Still a new language on the market is difficult to learn, so think before choosing it.
Pronounced C Plus-Plus is a general-purpose object-oriented programming language with low-level memory manipulation. Inheriting its syntax from C, C++ is an extension of the language. If you’ve worked with C, then C++ won’t be a big deal, as both languages share most of the features except for the more comprehensive C++. C++ is a powerful resource and has been widely applied and used in many fields ranging from finance, manufacturing business, to banking and many more.
- Fast, stable and has a large number of built-in compilers and libraries to use.
- If you know C++, you can quickly learn JAVA, C, C#.
- There is no garbage collector running in the background.
- You have full control and the application can run on any platform and take advantage of any hardware.
- Complex syntax, small standard library.
- The most complex programming language to master.
- Can’t support garbage collection or dynamic memory allocation.
- Object orientation is quite essential compared to other languages.
Pronounced ‘C-sharp’ – this is another general-purpose, object-oriented programming language widely used for mobile development, primarily for Windows and cross-platform app development foundations. C# has everything you want using other programming languages like Swift, Objective-C and JAVA programming languages. This language has the potential to be applied in creating server applications, web services, games to mobile applications. C# is supported by Unity3D, which makes it one of the best languages when it comes to game applications. C# is so versatile in applications that it has found itself in industries other than mobile application development including business and productivity tools, enterprise, utilities, education, games, etc. C# has found its applications in software development including AutoCAD, Office 365, Visual Studio and Share Point.
- Fast, easy to use and quick to deploy
- General, strong, functional, imperative, declarative, component-oriented, and object-oriented principles.
- Modern language
- Complex language for beginners
- The language is case sensitive and creates confusion
Important programming language for iOS applications. Objective – C is the core programming language used by Apple to develop iOS and OS X before Swift was developed. Swift may be on its way to replacing Objective-C but Objective-C still maintains its popularity among developers. The language seems to have maintained its relevance even as new languages have entered the script for two main reasons. The first reason is that there has been a lot of investment in the language of the applications and second, the frameworks of the applications are still largely based on Objective-C even today. Choose Objective – C, so it seems like a good idea as it allows you to create all kinds of apps.
- Easy to learn and used by most developers
- Lots of legacy code included supporting nested coding style
- Does not support any of the latest features.
- Requires extensive coding, time-consuming
Swift is the perfect language for developers interested in developing iOS apps. The CEO of Groove Technology commented that, Although it is one of the newer programming languages, it has gained immense popularity among iOS developers. The language was developed from the ground up specifically to fit the capabilities and requirements of modern iOS development. The range of languages is great because iPhone, iPad, watchOS and tvOS all work on iOS.
Swift was released for iOS, its supporting systems, and Linux. Swift has emerged as the main language in iOS and OS X development and has replaced Objective-C to a large extent. Although Swift is currently only available for iOS development, it works on Linux and is open source. This means that almost anyone can use it
- Requires less maintenance and avoids some of the bugs of Objective-C.
- Projects that are easier to scale up
- Powerful, intuitive and easy to learn programming language
- Write Swift code that is concise but fully expressive
- Lots of features for seamless and secure design yet lightning-fast software creation
- Still at a nascent stage and can be considered quite young for developing heavy applications
- Considered an unstable language because it is new in the market and needs to be updated regularly
Hypertext Preprocessor or PHP is an open-source server-side scripting language developed in 1995 for web pages. However, this language has been used more in today’s general-purpose development. PHP is used for server-side scripting, command-line scripting, and for coding applications. Primarily a coding language, PHP is used to create dynamic web pages, it can also be used to develop Android and iOS applications. Widely used to create eCommerce applications, content-heavy applications, dynamic web applications and mobile applications. It is a flexible language that can be easily embedded in HTML or HTML5. Some of the popular sites on PHP are Wikipedia, Facebook, and Yahoo.
- Easy to learn, platform-independent and exceptionally compatible with smooth integration
- Great for content-rich apps and loads quickly even on slow internet connections
- Built-in security features to protect from complex security threats
- Great language for learners, then can help them learn how to develop complex programs quickly
- The open source nature of the language is available for all to see and thus can quickly find bugs to exploit its weaknesses.
- Not suitable for large applications.
- Non-modular and difficult to maintain
A widely accepted programming language, Python is used to develop web applications, desktop applications, media engines, machine learning, network servers, and more. Examples of Python are YouTube, Instagram, and Pinterest. The language offers excellent library support, powerful integrations, and advanced controllability. If you are a start-up planning to develop your application – Python is the best language!
- Fast, easy to use, quick to deploy, easy to learn, and great readability.
- A high-level programming language used for scientific and numerical data analysis and computation, as well as for software development.
- An interactive language used to build scalable applications and support GUI applications.
- Supports multiple systems and platforms.
- Has a huge framework for flexible programming.
- Slow execution time.
- Not great with modern mobile app development.
- Not a great choice for memory-intensive tasks.
- There are some restrictions with data access.
Every programming language has its pros and cons, and no language is perfect. However, knowing these details first will help you narrow down your list so you can make the best choice for your particular application project.
If this is too much for you and you just can’t seem to figure it out, the perfect solution for you is to hire Groove Technology’s engineering team. We advise and provide solutions that help remove any uncertainty you have and set your project up for success.
What are you waiting for? Go ahead and start building your mobile app right now by contacting us now!
Professional software development experience in every step of software development lifecycle such as designing, developing, testing, debugging, and etc.
• Professional experience in Android application development.
• Professional experience in Java program development.
Check my Linkedin profile.